Google+ LeRoi Poet - A Poet For You: My First Poetry Night By LeRoi Poet

Friday 15 August 2014

My First Poetry Night By LeRoi Poet

Hey all, just thought I'd bring to light my first experience at a poetry event hosted by Tongue Fu (Wataaa!) on the 19th July 2014.... Time really does fly, doesn't feel a month ago at all!

The general vibe of this Tongue Fu event was spoken word splashed with live music and visual elements all coming together in one coherent supercalifantastical piece of art!!



Poets & Performers...

They were superb. Four altogether had a bit of everything. Two stood out for me though, Anthony Josephs  with his vivid stories about his family and history in general as well as the social conscience poetry by Sally Jenkinson.

What I liked about Anthony Joseph was the connection he made with the band, really brought out the best in them bringing a carnival atmosphere to the event. I found myself moving to the beat and tapping my feet in sync with my girlfriend. Secondly, his poetry was like a history lesson in an easily absorbed poetic pill. I love poems that have a story and a meaning, so top marks on that front also.

What I liked about Sally Jenkinson, simply put? How human she was on the stage. She came on stage and spoke of nerves and outfit selection troubles as well as other little experiences which came in her mind. Secondly I really enjoyed her poetry as she spoke of real life issues and gave intimate accounts on social perceptions of dating and being comfortable with who you are.

Concept with the band...

Now THIS was cool! They had a Pianist, Guitarist and a Drummer[-ist] on stage who had not rehearsed ANYTHING beforehand. It was up to the performing poet to describe the mood to the band and they will conjure up music to match. IT. WaS. AwEsOmEeEeEe! Music and spoken poetry merged seamlessly, along with the vivid visuals in the background, it really was a feast for the senses.... and I was hungry!

The only pic I got at the start before my phone died :(
As the poets urged each musician to have a solo section, this allowed them to fully express themselves through their instrument. It was truly a great experience seeing all these different elements come together.

LET THE PIG OUT!!

A poem done by the host Chris Redmond [with the help of the guy on the drums] depicted himself as a music teacher with a timid drummer who he is trying to inspire to fully express himself. What Chris refers to as 'letting your pig out'.

The poem built up slowly with encouraging words from Chris to the drummer (who was making forced mistakes, along with basic drum playing) ending with the band coming in and a terrific performance by the drummer going absolutely nuts, So much passion, got hearts racing and the audience cheering him on.

You can watch a version here, although not from my night out, still gives a good account of the poem :)

These are the pigs of my soul :)

Overall...

It really gave me life (Not that I was dead poetically before, ha). My mind was exploding. I wanted to jump on stage, set the ambiance with the band and let out my inner twin piglets!! I'd definitely recommend.future shows to anyone interested in poetry, music, comedy as well as those that just enjoy the little hidden gems in life.

Thanks for a great experience Chris! Look forward to attending further shows.

You can find out more about Tongue Fu Poetic Style here!

No comments:

Post a Comment